The J&B Met is once again sure to be a crowd pleaser this year at Kenilworth Racecourse. Said to be South Africa’s most prestigious horseracing event, the J&B Met offers equestrian and betting enthusiasts the chance to see some of the finest thoroughbreds in the country strut their stuff and the pot stands at R2.5million for the winning team. So which horses are at the peak of their career? Who should horseracing betting fans place their money on? We take a look at the top five horses in the field:
Horse Race Betting: J&B Met
- Futura: Last year’s J&B Met winner is again a firm favourite this year. This beautiful Bay Horse, trained by Justin Snaith also won the Champions Cup and L’Ormarins Queen’s Plate in 2015. Current Horserace Betting odds of 5/2
- Captain America – This strong Bay Gelding beat Futura at level weights in the Gr2 Lanzerac Alta Mater Green Point Stakes over 1600m on the tighter Kenilworth Old Course last time out in November, but is unlikely to be allowed the same easy lead he had in that race. Earlier in the year he won the H F Oppenheimer Horse Chestnut Stakes and Carol Bouwer South African Luxury Emporium Mr 96 Handicap in 2015. Trained by Brett Crawford this 6 year old will need to get in front early as he is not going to have it easy slotting in, especially considering his big frame. Current horserace betting odds of 20/1
- Legislate – Named horse of the year in 2014 this Bay Horse performed solidly in 2015 with a win at Rising Sun Gold Challenge. Will 2016 prove a good year for this Justin Snaith trained horse? Current horserace betting odds of 6/1
- Master Sabina – Master Sabina has managed to win 4 races in his career so far, with the most significant win to date on 28th Nov 2015 at Turfontein Gauteng Sansui Summer Cup. This Bay Gelding was a surprising winner as he edged out his stablemate Deo Juvente and this result completed one of the finest training feats in South African history. Trainer Geoff Woodruff had repeated his first and second finish of last year, having had the first three past the post the year before. Current horserace betting odds of 25/1
- Legal Eagle – Legal Eagle is expected to emerge as a betting favourite for the J & B Met when the market undergoes a major shake-up following his decisive win over a trip widely considered too short for him in the L’Ormarins Queen’s Plate. Said his trainer Sean Tarry, afterwards: “Legal Eagle has gone from strength to strength and his five months off the racecourse has really done him well. I was very confident in his preparation and in his ability but not of beating the likes of Futura over a mile. It was a fantastic performance.” Will he be able to do it again on the 30th January? Current horserace betting odds of 14/1.
Read more about how to place a horserace bet with our Step by Step Guide to Horserace Betting.
Place your horserace bets today.
For specialized and comprehensive local and international horserace betting, rugby, tennis, soccer, cricket, golf and motorsport betting, as well as extensive in house and online sports betting facilities, visit Keith Ho BetXchange for the most competitive prices and the largest sports betting options available in South Africa.