Horserace sports betting is definitely not a complicated activity. In essence you choose which horse to bet on and then wait and watch the outcome of the race. In South Africa horse race betting has been around for years and essentially started with the Durban July in 1897 although there were most definitely informal bets on horseracing events made for many years before that.
If you’re lucky enough to attend an actual horseracing event such as the Vodacom Durban July, the J&B Met, the Steinhoff International Summer Cup or the Champions Challenge, and bet on your favourite horse whilst you’re there, then you are sure to have a grand experience. However in South Africa, most horseraces are also televised live on Tellytrack, for those aren’t able to physically attend, and therefore being at a Bookmaker whilst watching the races is also a lot of fun.
Horse Race Bets
If you have never been to a major horse race and tried your hand at sports betting, then here is a simple guide you can follow:
- State the name of the racetrack
- State the number race you’re betting on
- State the Rand unit amount of your bet
- State your type of wager (this can either be placed on the horse to win, horse to place or horse to show or on a particular combination of horses.)
- State the number of the horse or horses you’re betting on
Check that your ticket information is correct before leaving the window.
We’ve done some research and found a few very useful tips when betting on horses in South African horseracing events.
- Every racetrack will have a television simulcast commentator, listen to what they say, they have a wealth of knowledge, some of the best South African examples are Craig Peters, Sheldon Peters and Trevor Denman.
- The top ten riders in the jockey standings win about 90% of the races run during the meet.
- Favourite horses win about 33% of the time.
There are many more exciting ways of betting at horseracing events, all of which are fun, interesting and should you be lucky enough, be profitable too.
For specialized and comprehensive local and international betting on horse racing, rugby, soccer, tennis, golf and motorsport, as well as extensive in house and online sports betting facilities, visit Keith Ho BetXchange for the most competitive prices and the largest sports betting options available in South Africa.