Many people bet with their hearts instead of their heads and patriotism, loyalty and peer pressure win over the facts. This therefore sometimes leads to some interesting betting decisions. For example,
- In New Zealand a bet was placed by a single punter this year of $130,000 on any team other than the All Blacks to win the Rugby World Cup. Yes you read correctly, in New Zealand.
- Meanwhile 70% of all bets placed with Australian Bookmaker Crownbet have been on New Zealand to win.
- $1000 was placed on Fiji to beat England by 13 points or over in the Rugby World Cup opening match. Disappointingly for this punter, England beat Fiji by 24 points.
- In the UK, bookmakers are expecting more than £60 million to be staked on the Rugby World Cup this year, making it the biggest betting event in rugby history.
- The odds offered against Japan beating South Africa were as high as 80/1 in their match against one another on the 19th September 2015. Before this game Japan had never beaten a tri-nations side, they were ranked number 13 in the world and the last Rugby World Cup match they won was against Zimbabwe in 1991. South Africa on the other hand played its most experienced side ever on the day with 851 caps between the starting XV. Japan beat South Africa 34-32 on that fateful day. Anyone who bet on Japan to win may have seemed crazy at the time, but they sure are laughing now.
- New Zealand are the overwhelming favorites to win the Rugby World Cup this year, which unfortunately means that the returns for betting on the Kiwis are minimal. It may be a good idea to instead bet on markets such as Top Try Scorer (Julian Savea at 6/1 and Nehe Milner-Skudder offering better value at 10/1), top points scorer, total number of tries and overall points.
In our article advice for effective rugby betting, we give tips and advice to rugby bettors on how to most effectively choose a team or market to bet on.
There will undoubtedly be a few more shock wins and losses in the Rugby World Cup this year, for teams as well as for betting enthusiasts. Given that this years tournament is probably one of the most watched in history, there is sure to be some betting history made.
Join the fun and take part in some interesting Rugby Betting Promotions as well as scoping out who the Hottest wives and girlfriends of the Rugby World Cup are.
Rugby World Cup Betting
Place your rugby bets now on The Rugby World Cup matches.
For specialized and comprehensive local and international rugby betting as well as extensive in house and online sports betting facilities, visit Keith Ho BetXchange for the most competitive prices and the largest sports betting options available in South Africa.