Rugby betting fans will be thrilled about the start of this years Steinhoff Varsity Cup Rugby tournament this month. The Varsity Cup is a collective term for four individual rugby tournaments, mainly the FNB Varsity Cup presented by Steinhoff International, the FNB Varsity Shield presented by Steinhoff International, the FNB Young Guns presented by Steinhoff International and the Steinhoff Koshuis Rugby Championships.
Varsity Cup Betting
This year’s competition involves a new 9 point try scoring system. A rugby try is worth five points but then there are bonus points, depending on where the try-scoring move started. For example if the try scoring team started the move in its own half, and they kept possession from start to finish, they will obtain four bonus points. That means that the try ultimately can be worth nine points. This adds an exciting, fast paced dimension to the rugby game and this years Varsity Cup is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
We briefly mentioned the Steinhoff Varsity Cup Rugby in our article Top 6 Rugby Tournaments to bet on, where we reviewed some of the best Rugby tournaments to be on this year. Below we take a look at the Varsity Cup Rugby teams playing in 2016 and who you should place your bets on:
1. FNB Shimlas – last years winners will be one of the favourites to retained their title and will look to dominated the Rugby field. The opening match on the 8th February will be between the Shimlas and the UCT Ikeys and promising to be a nail-biter as UCT Ikeys plays its first year with new coach Hanyani Shimange. Let’s see if last year’s title holders will defend their win with the new 9 point system.
Current rugby betting odds of 8/10 to win their opening match against the Ikeys.
2. FNB Ikeys – Last years runners up, the 2016 squad promises to be just as tough as last year. Players such as Mark Prior, Jade Kriel, Joel Carew, Luke Stringer, Guy Alexander, Jason Klaasens, Ryan Dugmore, Stephen Wallace, Nathan Nel, Tino Tenda and Luhleli Xoli who all played in last year’s final, will be available again to play and will provide a solid foundation for the Ikeys to go one higher. The single minded intensity from all the dedicated squad members in pre-season training bodes well for the intensity of a very tough competition. The new rules may be advantageous to this team as the game will be a lot faster.
Current rugby betting odds of 1/1 to beat the Shimlas in their opening game. (A draw is at 20/1)
3. FNB Tuks – Flank, Ruan Steenkamp leads the Tuks team this year. Says Steenkamp: “Last year didn’t end well for Tuks, so we would like to change that. It will be much of the same in terms of our game plan but we are focusing more on our set pieces and phases” Could they be the team to bet on this year?
Current rugby betting odds of 2/7 to win their opening match against NWU Pukke.
4. FNB Maties – On the 8th February University of Stellenbosch will host the Central University of Technology at the Danie Craven Stadium in the opening round of the 2016 FNB Varsity Cup presented by Steinhoff International. They haven’t had the best few years in the competition and last won in 2010. Could 2016 be their year to win the cup?
Current betting odds of 6/10 to win against CUT.
5. FNB NWU Pukke – Last years defeated finalists, the NWU Pukke have a lot to prove this year. Will their sheer determination be enough to get them through?
Current rugby betting odds of 5/2 to win against Tuks in their opening match.
6. FNB UJ – The FNB UJ side will kick off its “Back Your Boytjies” campaign with a home game against The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) Madibaz, on February 8, 2016, in Westdene, Johannesburg. They will be led by Kobus Porter and be under the guidance of coach Werner Janse van Rensburg. A strong team with a winning heart, do they have what it takes this year?
Current rugby betting odds are at 1/10 to beat NMMU in their opening match.
7. FNB NMMU – Says head coach David Maidza, “we have been close on two previous occasions to get to the finals and, yes, we will take each match as it comes but we are collectively eager to reach the finals.” Will their training and intense research pay off this year?
The rugby betting odds for the opening match against UJ are 17/20 to win.
8. FNB CUT – Central University of Technology play their opening match against the Maties and should be a nail-biter.
Their current rugby betting odds to win this match are 12/10.
Place your Varsity Cup Rugby bets today
For specialized and comprehensive local and international online rugby betting as well as betting on horse racing, soccer, tennis, golf and motorsport either in house and or through our online sports betting facilities, visit Keith Ho BetXchange for the most competitive prices and the largest sports betting options available in South Africa.