As the US Open progresses a number of experts wager that the golfing pros will struggle with the long rough and fast greens of the Oakmont Country Club. But who do we believe has a shot at winning the 116th US Open? We have a look at some betting odds and predictions below.
1. Jason Day – Jason Day is incredibly strong on a difficult course and is a master on the short game which is needed at Oakmont. Many believe too that he has the right temperament and strength for Oakmont.
Current Betting odds for Jason Day to win US Open: 6/1
2. Jordan Spieth – Being the defending champion of the US Open, Jordan Spieth has played the majors better these past two seasons than any other golfer. His last five results, dating back to his breakthrough victory at the 2015 Masters were Win, Win, T4, 2 and T2. What’s counting against him at the moment though is the unbearable Oakmont Course, where he has never played the US Open before.
Current Betting odds for Jordan Spieth to win US Open: 10/1
3. Bubba Watson – the two time Masters Winner is experienced playing at the US Open at Oakmont as he did well here in 2007.
Current Betting odds for Bubba Watson to win US Open: 11/1
4. Dustin Johnson – Last years runner up, Johnson is the only player to finish in the top 5 in each of the last 2 years at the US Open. He’s also been top 5 in 4 of the last 6 tournaments he played in.
Current Betting odds for Dustin Johnson to win US Open: 12/1
5. Rory McIlroy – Many experts believe that it’s “Rory’s time”. He is one of the best drivers around which is most certainly needed at Oakmont. The soggy weather forecast and his putting performance at Memorial all count in his favour. Could this be Rory’s fifth career major? We hope so!
Current Betting odds for Rory McIlroy to win US Open: 22/1
Louis Oosthuizen – with current betting odds of 70/1, not many are holding out hope that Oosthuizen has a chance of winning, but the fact that he shot a 30 on the back nine last year and almost stole the tournament from Spieth and Johnson, leaves us hoping that our South African golfing hero will come close again this year.
Read here for great golf betting tips.
Place your US Open Bets here