Sports betting fans had a number of sporting events to place a bet on this weekend, here we highlight some of the best sporting action of the weekend.
The first EFC event of 2016 took place on Saturday evening at Carnival City.
The main events saw Kabesa beat Henry by unanimous decision to win the Featherweight belt. Kabesa’s superior wrestling skills saw him dominate the fight and extend his unbeaten record to 6-0-0.
The fight of the night was Boyd Allen vs Leon Mynhardt. The fight was full of superb striking and had to be paused midway through the second round for a heavy bleeding nose. The fight went the full 3 rounds and had the fans on their feet. Allen won by split decision thanks to his superior striking and fluid movement.
All EFC 47 results are below:
- Brendan Lesar defeated Jean-Marie Kabeya via unanimous decision.
- Stefan Pretorius defeated Robo Ambamba via Triangle choke 2:07 into round 1.
- DuHo Kim defeated Pieter De Klerk via Rear-Naked choke 4:54 into round 2.
- JP Buys defeated Roevan De Beer via Rear-Naked choke 3:24 into round 1.
- Anicet Kanyeba defeated Tshilumba Mulumba via TKO 3:36 into round 3.
- Martin de Beer defeated Lourens Botes via Rear-Naked choke 2:56 into round 1.
- Amanda Lino defeated Jacqualine Trosee via TKO 0:10 into round 1.
- Barend Nienaber defeated Tumisang Madiba via unanimous decision.
- Brendon Katz defeated Sizwe Mnikathi via unanimous decision.
- Boyd Allen defeated Leon Mynhardt via split decision.
- Igeu Kabesa defeated Daniel Henry via unanimous decision.
Four South African Super Rugby sides claimed victory this weekend with only the Cheetahs unable to claim victory against the Stormers losing 10-20.
The match of the weekend was the Lions historic win against the Chiefs in Hamilton. Very few people expected the Lions to win away from home, but after some superb defence in the first half the Lions played some clinical rugby to clinch a will deserved 36-32 victory.
The Sharks won an arm wrestle 19-15 in a rather boring match against the Jaguars at Kings Park, while the Bulls looked impressive in a comfortable 45-25 win over the Rebels at Loftus.
The biltzbokke claimed third spot in the Las Vegas sevens with a solid 21-5 win over the USA in the bronze final. The bliltzboks looked good throughout the tournament but suffered a shock 2 point loss to Australia in the Semi Finals. Fiji won the tournament an now lead the overall standings by five points.
Leicester City extended their Premier League lead to five points as they defeated Watford 1-0. Spurs and Arsenal draw 2-2 at White Hart Lane to further reduce their title chances. With just 9 games left Leicester City are favourites to win the title. At the start of the season some bookies offered betting odds of 5000/1 for Leicester City to win the Premiership.
Read more: Leicester City: A fairy tale.
In other news, Manchester United’s hopes of a Champions Leagues qualification took a step backwards as they lost 1-0 to West Bromwich Albion.
Meanwhile Liverpool came from behind to win 2-1 against Crystal Palace to give them an outside chance of finishing in the top 4.
Australia won the second T20 international against South Africa at the Wanderers on Sunday to level the 3 match series 1-1.
South Africa posted a formidable 204 in their 20 overs thanks to an impressive 79 of 41 from captain du Plessis.
Australia were in trouble at 32-3, but thanks to a brutal partnership of 161 off 86 balls from Warner and Maxwell they made their way towards the total. Needing two off the last ball they managed to scamper through for two to win the game and set up a thrilling last game on Wednesday at Newlands.