Africas Major kicks off in early November this year and showcases some of the best players in the world, below we tell you some interesting fact about the Nedbank Golf Challenge.
Nedbank Golf Challenge: Interesting Facts
- In 1999 Ernie Els shot 25 under to win the tournament. This is the best winning score in the history of the Nedbank Golf Challenge.
- Ernie has played the tournament 18 times, the most appearances by a single player.
- David Frost, Nick Price and Ernie Els each have three titles.
- The lowest round recorded at the Nedbank Golf Challenge was 61, by Padraig Harrington
- Ian Woosnam holds the record for the worst 72 hole round total at 21 over. This was in 1993.
- The first Nedbank Golf Challenge was in 1981 and was won by Johnny Miller, beating off players such as Gary Player and Jack Nicklaus.
- In the last 13 years only two South Africans have won the title. Trevor Immelman in 2007 and Branden Grace in 2017.
- This year there are 22 countries represented by the 72 players taking part. Some of the countries are South Africa, Australia, Thailand, United States, England, Argentina, South Korea, Denmark, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Austria and France.
- Total prize money for this year’s event is $7 500 000.
- The most strokes of margin of victory was by Nick Price in 1993. He finished on 24 under for the tournament and 12 strokes ahead of second place.
- Tiger Woods has only played once in the tournament, in 1998, eventually losing to Nick Price in a play-off.
The greens at the Gary Player Country Club, Sun City are being prepared in anticipation of the 37th Nedbank Golf Challenge, hosted by Gary Player, which runs from 8 to 11 November
READ OUR PREVIEW: 5 PLAYERS TO BET ON AT THE NEDBANK GOLF CHALLENGE
Read More: Nedbank Golf Challenge Betting